Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Truth I hold to be self-evident


If someone asked me what my favorite holiday was, I would have a hard time answering. Halloween - check. Christmas - check. Thanksgiving - check. St. Patty's day, Memorial Day, April Fools Day and even May Day - check, check, check, delightful, yes - check. But the 4th of July? No. Uh-Uh.

It's such a sham. The concept is great - Independence. I mean I love America, and I'm even a huge fan of the Revolutionary War. It's my favorite war, if it's OK to choose wars you like. But here's what I hate:

1. Parades. Seriously? I cannot think of anything more boring than going out in 5 million degree heat to stand on the side of the road with the sweating, pulsing throngs of humanity bumpin' up against me to watch...what?? People carrying flags, high school band, a girl with a baton, the local elk club. Please. The only kind of parade you could drag me out to would be a parade of all the single, emotionally available, hetero men over the age of 30 living out here, and let's be serious - 5 people does not a parade make.

2. Barbecues. Great. Love these--but it ain't special to the 4th. You can do this any day.

3. Fireworks. Dumb. I'm sorry, because I know this will offend a lot of you, but what is all the HYPE about? I get why boys like them, because they like anything that makes loud noises, and that they can set fire to, but where is the thrill? I have lived in lots of places and seen a bajillion firework displays (including many in our nation's capital) and you know what, I'm going to call out the pink elephant in the room, they ain't all that great.

You again go fight millions of sweaty, nasty people, fight for a spot on the lawn and wait for hours for the big moment. And that's what it literally is - about one moment. They last a very short time, there are terrifying gun-crack noises every few seconds that send me face down on the ground covering my head every time, AND, they ALL LOOK THE SAME. Big bursts in the sky that are roundish, some with interesting shapes, that then fall to the ground in a spray. C'mon..are they really that thrilling or is everyone just afraid to speak out?

I'll tell you what, if they could shoot up in the sky, and then draw things like a giant forest, and then monkeys started swinging from the firework trees...now that'd be something Maude. And I'd be intrigued.

Anyway, that's it, that's the 4th- hot sweaty masses of people who go to parades and watch fireworks. It's OK, but it's definitely no May Day. I rather dance around a May Pole any day.

8 comments:

Aly said...

This is my favorite holiday. I love the community breakfasts and watching the locals in the parade. I LOVE fireworks and have no logical explanation. Most of all, I love patriotic music, and standing with everyone else with my hand over my heart as the flag passes. The heat and the crowds are just part of the price to me to enjoy feeling a sense of community. I wish you could have been with me last night at the Freedom Awards Dinner and heard the stories of the award recipients. It really got me in a patriotic mood. No sweaty crowds, good food... Blast! You're probably in town and I should have invited you.

Delsa said...

I'm wondering if you and Aly ever agree on anything- I think not.. But that adds diversity. I for one have become very, very grateful for my beloved country while I have been away. The parades I can do without, the fireworks I could care less about, but the feeling of being part of a wonderful country, the feeling of living in a place where you can make a difference is great. I love America.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shauri said...

I agree--I think I say that in the post. I love what the holiday stands for...I just don't think we found the best ways to celebrate it.

Anonymous said...

I love anything patriotic. I adore fireworks anytime of year. A parade with a band! I'm there. What I have found from living in AA for 20 years is that the 4th is more of a political statement than anything else here. I grew up in a small town similar to Chelsea. Hometown parades that celebrate our freedom, not the chence for you to give my kid a "vote for whatever" sticker.

Lisa said...

I totally disagree with you Shauri, these are all things that I love and that have good memories attached, so stop trying to ruin this wonderful holiday for me!! : )

Really, I think you get your parade and fireworks "stoogeness" from your dad.

jamie said...

shauri, i'm disappointed with this post. It's not even the fact that you dislike such a great holiday that gets me irked. I'm dying to hear your ideas of how we can better celebrate this joyous occasion of freedom. I mean, with all the ideas and thoughts that run through your mind, I know your ideas would be so much better (and creative) than our current celebratory traditions. So pray tell, what can we do to better celebrate our freedom? ;)

JJ said...

Well...it is my birthday, that is one reason to love it ;)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.