Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Garrett in Real Life


After much arm-twisting and just the tiniest bit of begging I managed to convince Garrett to go see the movie, "Dan in Real Life" with me. I'm not sure what he was so opposed to, but I guess he thought it be another dumb, formulaic, chick flick. Boy was he wrong.

If you haven't seen the movie - you should. Even Garrett found himself laughing several, nay many times during this flick. It actually reminded me of our family a little - they even had a talent night, which in our lingo would be family game night. Garrett leaned over to me during that part and said, "Our family is WAY more talented than that." OK.

There were some great lines, like "This corn is an angel." and "I would even call you to tell you I'm not going to call." and "You are the murderer of love!!!" Garrett's favorite part was when they were setting Dan up with some girl who for obvious reasons was called "Ruthie pig-faced Draper" and his two brothers made up a song about her and sang it to the family before she arrived. He especially loved the line, "You can be her big bad wolf." It was pretty hysterical and awesome.

It won't win any Oscars, but it was entertaining, and sweet and even a bit touching. I liked when he arrived at his parents with the rest of the family and his mom told him that since his brother invited a friend, Dan would have to stay in the "special room" aka the laundry room with a bed in it. It reminded me of how Travis, Garrett and I got the special room at Duck with the bunkbeds. No mate, no kids= special room. Incentive enough.

6 comments:

emily said...

Hi Shauri,

Just found your blog linked through Lisa's. We also saw Dan in Real Life on Saturday night. Loved it! My favorite part (hands down) was Ruthie the Pig Face song...could not stop laughing. And who hasn't had a turn sleeping in that "special room?"

Hope you're doing well. And just so you know, I will stalk your blog from now on...

Shauri said...

Emily- I'm thrilled and flattered you're stalking my blog. Unbeknownst to you, I've been stalking yours for months because it is so cleverly written. :)

Lisa said...

That's so funny, it totally reminded me of our family get togethers too. The great thing about the movie is that you don't feel like you're watching actors, you feel like you're part of these people's family (deep, huh?). Anyway, let's go again together when you get back to Michigan...and again and again and again!

KA said...

You can go to movies because you blog instead of be married (...and have kids). So, I mean, if you're looking for a reason.

Updates From The Outback said...

I loved it too! I'm so happy other people loved it as much as me. Thanks for your comment on my blog. You guys are always welcome. We love having you around.

Arah Debra said...

That Lynda comment was me. I didn't realize she was signed in on my computer.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.