Saturday, November 10, 2007

Goin' to the airport Playa

Yesterday I had a lunch date scheduled which I was forced to cancel because I found out it was airport pickup day and I needed to be on call with my camera. I sent a text message to my date informing him that I couldn't make it, but as some of you may be aware, your text message is only allowed so many characters before it cuts it off.

As fate would have it, mine ended a little shorter than I anticipated and read like this, "Just found out I have to film an airport run at noon, player." I got an immediate response: "I'm not a player.." He may or may not be, but regardless, it wasn't the message I was trying to send.
Lesson learned: Technology can thwart as at every turn. And if you don't believe me, let me remind you what Creed taught us in probably the best Office episode this season:

Creed: That's some fun stuff. When does the website go up?
Ryan: As fast as possible. We want to start retraining people A.S.A.P., so we can hit the ground running with a new system.
Creed: Cool beans.
Ryan exits.

Creed: We're screwed.
Michael: Who is?
Creed: Us? You and me. The old timers.
Michael: I am not old. You are old. You are like a hundred.
Creed: You're over 40, that's the cut off. Are you listening to what he's saying? Re-training. New system. Youth. I'm telling you this kid is the grim reaper. You deal with this or you, me, Sammy, Phyllis, the chick you hit with the car, we're goners.

Oscar: Creed?
Creed: Yes, sir.
Oscar: Everything OK? [Creed has made his hair jet black]
Creed: Everything's cool, dude.

Michael: Still my office, Ryan. [Ryan sits down] Well, there has been a lot of talk about new ideas today. Well, new ideas are fine, but they are also illegal, because they are a form of ageism. What? Yes, I am right. Did you know that the Age Discrimination and Employment Act of 1967 prohibits employment discrimination based on age with respect to employees 40 years of age or older? I did.
Toby: Technically, he's right.
Michael: Hey, shut up Toby. Look, why do we as a society hate old people so much?
Creed: Because they're lame.

Ryan: [speaking on the phone] Yes, I understand that David. I just felt that if we were to downsize Kelly and then outsource customer service to India which a lot of companies... Yeah, no, yes Kelly is Indian... I understand that's confusing.
Creed: [looks at vending machine] Hey brah, I've been meaning to ask you, can we get some Red Bull for these things? Sometimes a guy's gotta ride the bull, am I right? Later skater.

I realize this is a long excerpt, but seriously, it bears another look. Maybe the funniest dialogue EVER. Anyway, my point - Technology can screw you. On the positive side, my date is still on, just re-scheduled. I'll let you know if the "player" text was foreshadowing.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Now THAT is some good material...I wish I could've seen that guys face when he read your text. Can't wait for the actual date story (tell Travis...things may be moving in your favor afterall).

Kudos to The Office, yet again, for their genius writers. That was such a funny episode.

Shauri said...

It really is just so brilliant. I think my favorite line in all of it (besides "brah") is: You deal with this or you, me, Sammy, Phyllis, the chick you hit with the car, we're goners.
I mean- THE CHICK YOU HIT WITH THE CAR??? Hilarious.

Travis says he's looking forward to chatting with you. :)

Lisa said...

Man that just made me miss our Thursday nights!

xóchitl said...

so shauri, i have decided that you need to have a "dundies" awards night on your blog. i think your wit and humor can in fact rival the writers of The Office. and besides aren't all those guys striking anyway? we need you.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.