Thursday, November 15, 2007

I am to be famous


I have many a story to share, but little time to write, so I thought I would share a delicious little nugget with you, my loyal readers (aka Kristin) until I can get serious and spill some SERIOUS dirt.

Tuesday was the Flash Media Day and I was set up with an interview room, ready to grab some of the players and interview them for the documentary. I was interviewing one kid (Tyree) from USC and we talked for quite a while. In the middle of it, this 7'1" player that the Utah Jazz sent down to play for the Flash, walked in the door and plunked himself down right behind where I was interviewing and just sat there stretching. I thought it was odd, since I hadn't asked him to come in to the room and there were local TV stations outside waiting to interview him. (he is the most famous player. I call him Fez because he told me I cannot pronounce his full name.)

When I finished interviewing Tyree, I turned and saw Fez still sitting there stretching his gi-normous legs. I asked, "Ummm, Did you want me to interview you?" He replied, "Yes. Of course." In other words, Doi. (I love the word doi.)

He proceeded to tell me, "You interview long time. You have much to say. I like keep short." I told him I would do my best. I started to ask him questions and was met with disdainful reply after disdainful reply.

Shauri: Are your parents staying in Russia?
Fez: Who is from Russia?
Shauri: Ummm..I mean, the Ukraine.
Fez: Yes you are correct. It is the Ukraine.
Shauri: Will your parents stay there?
Fez: Yes. I will like them there.
Shauri: How are the living conditions in the Ukraine?
Fez: unintelligle russian/ukrainian mubling
Shauri: Huh?
Fez: I said, the cheese in the moustrap never is free.
Shauri: Ahhhh...ummm... ok. (thinking)
Fez: I want one thing only. I am to be famous. I do not want fans, just I am famous. I will only win, I will be famous and I will also be actor.
Shauri: Interesting. So are you going to L.A.?
Fez: No. I will NEVER go to LA as long as there is Kobe Bryant in that place. I hate Kobe Bryant.
(so basically we agree on one thing. Well, Kobe and the mousetrap, so two.)

And so on. I was eventually told by the PR guy to wrap it up because important people (not me) were waiting to talk to Fez, but when I said, "I think we're being to told to wrap it up so you can talk to others" He said, "Let them wait. I go when I am ready. YOu will interview me." Hello.

He's a trip. And humongous. I was scared if I stopped interviewing him he might squash me like a bug. Which by the way I mentioned to a 6'11" guy at camp. As in, "You must just look down at me and think, I can squash her like a bug." Answer, "Yes."

Every day is a magical adventure.

14 comments:

Amy said...

That cracks me up. "The cheese in the mousetrap is never free" may just become my go-to answer when my kids ask me "why". Actually, I don't care what they ask me. I just want to use that as an answer sometime because I want to see a reaction to it.

jamie said...

That was awesome. The cheese and mousetrap comment was my favorite and the whole I want to be famous but have no fans...that's some good stuff. Love it all, Shauri!

Kris said...

Frankly, I'm relieved he didn't squash you like a bug. I'll be watching for this character to be unleashed on the acting world - with his English skills - he's well on his way to becoming the next great Milli Vanilli (naturally, in acting - hopefully he'll spare us the singing).

EFN Newsletter said...

Sounds like someone has a little crush. Good thing you have a tall personality so you can hold your own :)

Lisa said...

I'm a little hurt. I think I do pretty well in the "loyal reader" category!

Shauri said...

I was just responding to Kristin's comments on my last blog. And you know, I didn't want to be presumptuous Lisa.
Crush....no. oh, no.

DTR said...

This guy immediately brought to mind the main character of Everything Is Illuminated, for those who have seen it. Not Frodo, the other one.

Brian Donovan said...

Shauri, this is so similar to when I interviewed you a couple months ago. Here's an excerpt-

Brian: "So, Shauri, do you think your parents will stay in Australia?"
Shauri: "Yes. I will like them there."
Brian: "Ok...so what do you want to get out of this documentary you are making?"
Shauri: "I want one thing only. I am to be famous. I do not want fans, just I am famous. I will only win, I will be famous and I will also be actor.

Weird, huh?

Shauri said...

BD- YOU are wierd. Funny, but wierd.

Shauri said...

dtr-- who are you?

DTR said...

I am the spouse of the inimitable Potato Girl, and I followed the link here from Lisa and Shawn's blog. I didn't mean to freak you out by commenting--I'm not a stalker, really! Your interview with Fez just triggered a memory of some of the hilarious dialogue in Everything Is Illuminated. The movie also has great cinematography that even an amateur like me can appreciate, and the canine performance of a lifetime in the character of Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.

masterwong said...

Propz to "FEZ" - you have to excuse my European Brother, he sometimes speaks like how we all do in the Southern Hemisphere...esp the Pacific Islands! hehe!

Shauri said...

Dan--HELLO! Didn't freak me out...well a little. It's a great surprise to see you on here and I will definitely check out that movie as you peaked my interest now. It's great to hear from you!

Shauri said...

That's true Master Wong--(I like the upgrade from Elder) he does talk just like another Southern Hemisphere brother I know....cocky! I mean, self- confident. ;)

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.