Monday, November 26, 2007

Game One - Sweet Victory

Saturday I flew to Anaheim for our first official game. When I say "our", I mean the Flash. I'm not sure they include me as part of the team, but I like to think they should after my potato pie efforts.

It was rather exciting. I thought we were going to lose, but we ended up winning on a last second shot by Gabe Pruett who had just been sent down by the Celtics the day before.

What was sad about that is it gives a little glimpse in to how fragile your dream is as a professional basketball player. On Thursday the guys had just been talking to Wallace about how you can get sent down or up at anytime during the season and that you are never secure in your spot. We saw that first hand the next day when Pruett came down and Gary got sent packing just hours before his flight to Game One. It's a tough business. (The top picture is of our two Celtic guys.)

It was really interesting to see how poorly attended some of these games will be. The Anaheim team only had about a couple hundred seats filled and felt very empty. (You can get a bit of a feel for that in this picture.) It will be interesting to see how many show up for OUR game opener tomorrow. I'm sure everyone in the Flash organization (especially travis) is nervously awaiting that moment of truth.

Nothing very exciting or interesting to post on the personal front. I'm suffering from major PMS, so mostly just trying not to talk to very many people. This is for their benefit, not mine so I hope the concern is appreciated. (Is it ok to say PMS on your blog? I think when you are experiencing it, it is.)

10 comments:

Delsa said...

I honestly can't imagine that you would care if it was okay to say it or not--that is unless you have turned over a new leaf- which obviously you haven't since you mentioned it anyway. Did you let the team know so they could sympathize with you. Does Travis get to travel to the games? Probably not.

KA said...

I think you can say whatever you want on your blog. As demonstrated by my topic of choice today--much worse, you will note, than a mention of PMS.

EFN Newsletter said...

Not to be insensitive to the fragile dream, but is Pruett still getting PAID by the NBA? I mean, that's got to soften the blow, right? I guess not for Gary though.

Also, there may not be a lot of fans, but at least there are scantily clad cheerleaders (see photo 2). I mean Jeez Louise.

xóchitl said...

What Kristin, you don't like our cheer outfits? I do. Unfortunately, I am not in this picture as I was out of pocket for the first game...you know, three kids to attend to and all. But my partner D.G. was there.

Shauri said...

Xoch--you're in anaheim?? will you be going to the game on the 5th? Cause I'll be there and it would be fun to see you!
By the by--those cheerleaders/dancers are no joke. Well they actually are, but you'll be pleased to know they have that same exact scanty outfit in blue which they changed in to at halftime.

xóchitl said...

no shauri, i am not in anaheim. i am a dork. i was alluding to being one of the scandilous anaheim cheerleaders. lame.
but more importantly, i checked the D-league website and lo and behold we have a team even waaaay down here in south texas. (yes, i'm in south tejas. we're tejanos, for now.) so the flash plays the vipers feb 3. are you coming with them? does this mean i may actually have a real life contact to the outside world? i almost dare not hope to have a quinn sighting.

Lisa said...

Lookin forward to hearing a/b the first night in Utah! Hopefully you get more than 200 people to fill the seats!

Kari Badell said...

I have to say that I love reading your blog because it's very entertaining, but I don't think that you're ever going to call me.

jamie said...

So am i going to see you while I'm in Utah this weekend? I mean, I love your blog and all, but nothing beats talking face to face. :) I'll e-mail you, but I have my fingers crossed that we can meet up. And if I know, I know that you are a vital member of their team, I mean, who else is keeping it real for them? They need you!

Kathy Diehl said...

I had no idea that spinsterhood activities were so time consuming that it would be impossible to reply to phone calls or e-mails from your RS president (who has an enquiring mind) regarding whether you want to continue to be a visiting teacher! I am assuming that your shocking lack of communication with your loving and committed RS prez can be remedied by exposing your neglect of proper reply etiquette to the entire world via this blog. What's a Relief Society prez to do??! You're off the visiting teaching hook for now. We can revisit this issue when you return to Zion (a/k/a Ann Arbor) in Jan.

Hits

free hit counter account login link
Get a hit counter here.